Best Knife Sharpeners in 2018-2019 Reviews
Best Knife Sharpeners in 2018-2019-A knife sharpener doesn’t have to be an expensive investment. It’s also a worthwhile tool for cooks of all levels. Dull blades can make food preparation longer and harder. They can also be a safety hazard, as you need to apply more pressure to cut up food. Instead of sending your dull knives off to get professionally sharpened, take a look at the knife sharpeners below. We’ve included a variety of types as well as price points to help make your search easier.
As you begin your search, keep in mind the different types of sharpeners. Most manual sharpeners are affordable, compact, and efficient, making them a practical choice for the average home chef. This type of sharpener is easy to use and often has one hardened wheel for fine grinding and another for coarse. In contrast, electric sharpeners tend to be pricier. However, many users find them to be faster than more effective than manual sharpeners.
Another option is a sharpening stone. Most stones provide a measurement in terms of grit, which tells you how abrasive the surface is. The larger the number, the finer the grit. Coarser abrasives are ideal for reshaping blades on very dull knives, while finer abrasives are best for touch-ups.
While all sharpeners are designed to accommodate straight blades, not every sharpener can handle ceramic or serrated blades. However, most cooks find that serrated blades don’t wear out nearly as fast.
If you don’t see the right choice on this list, browse a wider selection of best knife sharpeners on Amazon to find your ideal product.
- Best Knife Sharpeners in 2018-2019
- 10. Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener, Grey
- 9. PriorityChef Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives, 2 Stage Diamond Coated Sharpening Wheel System, Black
- 8. SunrisePro Knife Sharpener, USA patented, Original, Red
- 7. Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition:
- 6. Smith’s 50264 Adjustable Manual Knife Sharpener
- 5. Smith’s TRI-6 Arkansas TRI-HONE Sharpening Stones System
- 4. Double-Sided Knife Sharpening Stone Multi-Colored – 600/1000 Grit by Utopia Kitchen
- 3. Smith’s 50185 Jiffy-Pro Handheld Sharpener
- 2. Wüsthof – 2 Stage Hand-Held Sharpener (2922)
- 1. Winware Stainless Steel Sharpening Steel, 12-Inch
- 1. Kangever Kitchen Knife Sharpener
- 2. Priority Chef Knife Sharpener
- 3. Winware Stainless Steel Sharpening Steel
- 4. SunrisePro Knife Sharpener
- 5. Presto Professional EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
- 6. EdgeCraft Chef’sChoice Trizor XV Sharpener EdgeSelect
- 7. Unimi Whetstone Knife Sharpener
- 8. Wüsthof – 2 Stage Hand-Held Sharpener
- 9. Smith’s TRI-6 Arkansas TRI-HONE Sharpening System
- 10. Zwilling J.A. Henckels 4-Stage Manual Knife Sharpener
Best Knife Sharpeners in 2018-2019
10. Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener, Grey
Smith’s are known for their high quality products and this Multifunction knife Sharpener is no different. With a size of 3 ¼ inches and weighing 1.5 ounces, the PP1 Pocket Pal is the perfect buddy for your next adventure trip. This knife sharpener features pre-set crossed carbides along with ceramic stones that help you sharpen your knife perfectly. It also features a diamond coated tapered rod that sharpens both standard and serrated edges. This unit is durable, lightweight and compact. It is ideal for sharpening pocket and kitchen knives.
- Easy to use
- Lightweight and durable
- Easily portable
- Sharpens effectively
- Multi-purpose sharpener
- The sharpening angle is best fit for pocket, field and hunting knives
9. PriorityChef Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives, 2 Stage Diamond Coated Sharpening Wheel System, Black
This knife sharpener by PriorityChef is the most reliable and superior quality sharpener that the market has seen. You can use this knife sharpener for keeping your straight edge knife razor sharp. The unit works with 2-stage sharpening system for polishing the blades to sharpness. With diamonds set in the sharpener, you can rest assured that your knife will be sharpened perfectly. It also comes with non-slip cushion base for stability and an ergonomic design for comfortable use as well as easy grip. And in case, you are not happy with the product, the manufacturers offer 100% money back guarantee!
- Excellent sharpener
- Value for money
- It incorporates safe yet simple sharpening process
- Amazing customer service
- High quality sharpening for all kinds of knives
- Might sharpen a bit aggressively
8. SunrisePro Knife Sharpener, USA patented, Original, Red
This is an original Knife Sharpener that is US patented , and has been designed with the tungsten carbide technology integrated in the sharpener to help add life to your knife. This unit is portable and tiny, allowing you to carry it with you whenever you travel. The diamond precision feature provides excellent sharpening of all knife varieties including scissors and serrated blades at low angles within 60 seconds! And the patented suction bottom with round design ensures safety and ease while using this sharpener.
- USA patented
- Powerful suction pad for easy and quick use
- Sharp edges and versatile
- Reasonably priced
- No honing and polishing options
7. Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition:
Work Sharp has paired up with Ken Onion, a celebrated knife maker, to carefully design a knife sharpened which will give kitchen knives the best edge. This stylish, easy-to-use, and fast sharpener has the ability to sharpen all types of tools including knives with repeatability and precision. The flexibly engineered- abrasive belts are responsible for sharpening tools and knives with a consistent angle. The variable speed and fully adjustable precision sharpening guide ensure effective sharpening of pocket knives, hunting knives, kitchen knives, serrated knives as well as other tools with dull blades.
- Offers quick results
- Excellent sharpener
- Works best on pocket and kitchen knives
- Value for money
- Well-built and highly durable
- Reading the instructions is necessary to understand how the sharpener works
6. Smith’s 50264 Adjustable Manual Knife Sharpener
If you want to get your knife sharpened quickly but safely, then this manual and adjustable knife sharpener is what you need. This sharpener uses 2 stages-coarse and fine- to sharpen your knife. It also features a serrated blade as well as a knob to help you adjust the unit at the required angle (between 14- 28 degrees). This unit is user friendly as well as easy to maintain. Sports enthusiast with large knife collections can make the most of this sharpener.
- Comes with two different stages for sharpening
- The easy adjustable knob provides sharpening between 14 degrees to 28 degrees on each side
- Quick, safe and easy use
- Soft but good grip
- Reasonably priced
- Stones might wear off pretty fast
5. Smith’s TRI-6 Arkansas TRI-HONE Sharpening Stones System
The Sharpening stone system by Smith’s can give your knives a whole new life. With its 3 different Arkansas stones for sharpening, there is no way that your knife will not get a razor-sharp edge. It also comes with easy-to-read stone identification and easy stone rotations that help you know exactly how to get along with the knife sharpening process on this unit. The molded plastic at the base with no-slip rubber ensures safety
while sharpening with this unit.
- Convenient handles
- Beautiful design
- Reasonably priced
- The instructions are easy-to- understand
- The stone’s sharpening surface is well-protected by the honing solution
- Great sharpening
- It might be tough for first timers to use this sharpener
4. Double-Sided Knife Sharpening Stone Multi-Colored – 600/1000 Grit by Utopia Kitchen
Utopia Kitchen has introduced this exclusive sharpening stone for incorporating sharpness to your damaged or blunt knife blades. It comes with a measurement of approximately 2.4-inches of width, 7 inches of length and 1.06 inches of thickness. It is a double-sided sharpener that is made of 600-coarse grit as well as 1000-fine grit. The high quality corundum ensures effective sharpening of your knives. This sharpener has the ability to sharpen all kinds of knives with serrated and ceramic knives included in the list! The non-slip rubber base helps the unit to stay stable and fixed when stroking your knife into this stone. Moreover, you don’t need to use sharpening oil for maintenance.
- First timers can use this sharpener with great ease
- Versatile and reasonably priced
- Non-slip base offers safety while use
- Comes with dual grit combination of 600/1000
- Tends to fall apart when used for a long time
- Might get dirty very fast
3. Smith’s 50185 Jiffy-Pro Handheld Sharpener
This Jiffy- Pro kitchen sharpener by Smith’s is extremely simple to use, and highly dependable when it comes to effective sharpening. You can use it at home, at a camp, or even in the field. The slots of this sharpener come with crossed carbide blades that help dull and damaged knives gain back their sharpness again. The 2-stage sharpening makes this unit ideal for all kinds of straight edge knives. Also, the fixed abrasive components ensure a preset sharpening angle to ensure that you get razor sharp knives every time you use this sharpener. The enlarged scissor sharpening slot is useful in accommodating Game Shears.
- Solid build
- Easy to use
- Comfortable and safe
- Excellent knife and scissors sharpener
- Value for money
- Might not work well for expensive knives
2. Wüsthof – 2 Stage Hand-Held Sharpener (2922)
The dual-stage knife sharpener is exactly what your kitchen needs. This sharpener can make your kitchen knives get a professional sharpening in no time. All you have to do is place this sharpener on the kitchen counter and pull your knife through the sharpening stage where the hard carbide based steel blades will sharpen the blade coarsely. The next stage is called honing, in which the ceramic rods will hone the blade with the rubber base offering stability. Once you get used to the sharpener, you will no longer need to buy new knives for a very long time.
- It incorporates easy and simple sharpening process
- Perfectly sharpens a wide range of knives
- Can be handled and stored easily
- Might require re-profiling the knives at different angles
1. Winware Stainless Steel Sharpening Steel, 12-Inch
This sharpening tool comes with superior quality stainless steel rod that gives your knife excellent sharpness. The 12-inch steel sharpener also features a 5-inch long handle. This allows the sharpener to work with knives of different lengths. Since the handle is plastic-made, maintenance of the product is very simple and easy. The ridges on the sharpener’s rod help it effectively roughen up a knife’s edge along with simultaneous realignment. The loop hanging on the edge of this sharpener allows you to easily hang it anywhere in the kitchen or garage. Cleaning this sharpener also requires nothing more than a damp, soft cloth.
- Reasonably priced
- Comes with effective honing and realigning
- Perfectly sharpens knives with different lengths
- Solid build
- Comes with a loop for hanging
- The rod’s ridges might start wearing off quickly
The above-mentioned best knife sharpeners reviews ensure that your knives are perfectly sharpened for kitchen or any other use. However, you need to choose which of these sharpening systems will work best for you- a sharpening rod, sharpening stone or a 2-stage knife sharpening unit. Moreover, you also need to consider your budget allotted for the knife sharpener. Depending on your allotted budget, the blades of your knives, and the method of sharpening that you prefer, you can make your selection. Make sure to invest in a knife sharpener that you can actually use to sharpen your knives; else you will only regret your buying decision. So, go ahead and make your pick!
1. Kangever Kitchen Knife Sharpener
This knife sharpener is geared towards straight and serrated knives, including a fixed angle slot specifically for serrated blades. Just place the dull blade on the appropriate sharpening slot, while the two-stage sharpening system takes care of the rest. For your safety and comfort, this knife sharpener has a soft grip handle and non-skid rubber feet.
This knife sharpener is best for straight and serrated blades.
- Ideal for straight and serrated blades
- Has a fixed angle slot for serrated knives
- Non-skid rubber feet
- Scissor sharpener could be better
- Some wish the sharpener was larger
- Can require several pulls to get the blade razor sharp
2. Priority Chef Knife Sharpener
The Priority Chef Knife Sharpener has a two-stage sharpening system. The first is a diamond coated wheel for coarse sharpening, while the second is a ceramic sharpening wheel. When your knife is done, it will have a double bevelled edge that’s razor sharp and remains sharp for an extended period of time. Another advantage of a diamond coated wheel is that diamonds can withstand the task of repeatedly cutting and sharpening even the hardest metals. The diamond coated wheel is also slightly angled to help shape both sides of the knife as it’s sharpened. You can use the ceramic wheel for sharpening serrated knives and for getting rid of any imperfections within a knife edge. Other features include a modern stainless steel design and a non-slip cushion on the bottom. Aside from kitchen knives, it’s ideal for pocket, utility, and hunting knives.
This knife sharpener is best for coarse and ceramic sharpening to keep blades razor sharp for an extended period of time.
Price: $19.95 (43 percent off MSRP)
- Has diamond coated and ceramic sharpening wheels
- Non-slip bottom cushion
- Ideal for a variety of knives
- Instructions could be better
- Slots may not be wide enough to accommodate larger blades
- A few find that it works best for thinner blades
3. Winware Stainless Steel Sharpening Steel
Honing and sharpening steels look similar, but they offer different results. Honing steels are ideal for re-aligning the blade and can be used as often as after every use. Honing steels don’t actually sharpen a knife, but can produce similar results as they help push the knife blade into its proper position. In contrast, sharpening steels remove a thin layer of steel from the blade, resulting in a sharp new edge. You only need to use a sharpening steel a few times per year, even if you use your knives frequently. For best results, choose a sharpening steel that’s at least as long as the knife you will be sharpening. This sharpening steel features a 12-inch sharpening blade and a 5-inch plastic handle. To clean, simply wipe it down with a damp cloth.
This knife sharpener is best for those seeking a sharpening steel that only needs to be used a few times per year to keep blades sharp.
Price: $8.87 (16 percent off MSRP)
- Creates a sharp, new blade
- Only needs to be used a few times per year
- 12-inch sharpening blade
- Initial learning curve
- Some find it tough to store due to its size
- A few mention the handle is uncomfortable
4. SunrisePro Knife Sharpener
In addition to kitchen knives, the SunrisePro Knife Sharpener also sharpens garden utensils. It’s designed to accommodate everything from carving and bread knives to blender blades, serrated knives, and scissors, along with pruning and hedge shears. A suction cup mount holds the sharpener securely in place. This tool is designed to sharpen blades in less than a minute. It’s also available in a variety of colors.
This knife sharpener is best for sharpening kitchen knives and garden utensils.
Price: $15.27 (60 percent off MSRP)
- Sharpens kitchen knives and garden utensils
- Suction cup mount
- Comes in several colors
- Sharpening angle isn’t adjustable
- First sharpening can generate a lot of excess shavings
- Several mention it isn’t compatible with Japanese knives
5. Presto Professional EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
If you’re looking for professional-level results, consider this electric knife sharpener. You don’t have to be a professional chef to invest in a knife sharpener with features such as a three-stage sharpening system and interchangeable blades to ensure optimal sharpening angles. In fact, this sharpener is a practical choice for beginners, as the blade guides keep the knife at the ideal sharpening angle. The tool is ideal for kitchen and hunting knives.
This sharpener is best for use with kitchen and hunting knives.
A less expensive alternative, LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener, is also available.
- Three-stage sharpening system
- Ideal for home chefs of all levels
- Designed for kitchen and hunting knives
- Knife guides move too easily
- A few note it doesn’t quite return blades to their original sharpness
- Can be tricky to use with serrated knives
6. EdgeCraft Chef’sChoice Trizor XV Sharpener EdgeSelect
The hallmark feature of the Chef’sChoice Trizor XV Sharpener EdgeSelect is its ability to convert household knife angles from the typical 20 degrees to 15 degrees. Flexible spring guides ensure proper control of the sharpening angle, while the three-stage sharpening system helps create the optimal edge for various cutting tasks. This knife sharpener is geared towards sharpening serrated and straight edge blades.
This knife sharpener is best for converting knife angles from 20 to 15 degrees.
Price: $117.50 (44 percent off MSRP)
- Converts knife angles from 20 to 15 degrees
- Ideal for straight edge and serrated blades
- Flexible spring guides
- A handful mention the rubber feet on the bottom tend to fall off easily
- Some note an initial learning curve
- Doesn’t sharpen ceramic or scissor blades
7. Unimi Whetstone Knife Sharpener
Whetstone sharpeners offer a gentle yet efficient way to sharpen dull knife blades. Most stones come with two distinct sides, one of which is a finer grit while the other is a coarser grit. This particular sharpener features 2,000 and 6,000 grit sides. A 2,000 grit stone falls in the middle and is ideal for those who want to frequently sharper their knives often. Since it’s less abrasive than some finer grits, it can take longer to sharpen knives. On the other side you’ll find 6,000 grit, which is a basic finishing stone for a more sharp and polished blade. You can sharpen more than your kitchen knives, including gardening tools, woodworking tools, carpentry kits, and more. Other features include a corrosion-resistant material and a non-slip silicone base. If this is your first time using a stone or you just need a bit more guidance, check out the sharpening guide that comes with this product.
This knife sharpener is best for frequent sharpening with a basic finishing stone.
- Ideal for those who frequently sharpen knives
- Non-slip silicone base
- Comes with a sharpening guide
- Can take awhile to sharpen blades
- Those seeking razor sharp blades may want to go with a higher grit
- Not designed for use with ceramic or serrated knives
8. Wüsthof – 2 Stage Hand-Held Sharpener
Some knife sharpeners don’t include markings for fine and coarse sharpening, which can be especially confusing for those who are new to knife sharpeners. If you’re tired of guessing, you’ll appreciate how each side of this sharpener is clearly marked. Another highlight is its lightweight construction and compact size, which allows you to leave it out on the countertop or store it away. Carbide steel blades are utilized during the coarse sharpening stage. There are also fine ceramic rods during the honing stage. A rubberized base ensures your grip remains secure.
This knife sharpener is best for budget-conscious consumers who want clearly markings, as well as for beginners.
Price: $19.94 (20 percent off MSRP)
- Comes with markings for both sides
- Rubberized base provides a solid grip
- Weighted for added security
- Sharpening stones could be raised higher from the plastic
- May not sharpen knives as well as pricier products
- Doesn’t work with serrated blades
9. Smith’s TRI-6 Arkansas TRI-HONE Sharpening System
The Smith’s TRI-6 Arkansas TRI-HONE Sharpening System features a medium synthetic stone, fine Arkansas stone, and a coarse synthetic stone. Each stone measures six inches. They are also molded onto a plastic triangle with handles so that you can easily rotate between stones. Rubber feet sit on the bottom of the plastic base for added traction and security during the sharpening process. The coarse stone is 400 grit, while the medium synthetic stone is 600 grit and the fine Arkansas stone is 1000-1200 grit. A trough helps catch any oil that drips down. This sharpener comes with a bottle of honing solution along with a sharpening guide to help you get started.
This knife sharpener is best for experienced users seeking medium synthetic, fine Arkansas, and coarse synthetic stones.
Price: $24.97 (6 percent off MSRP)
- Three distinct stones
- Trough helps catch excess oil
- Includes a bottle of honing solution and a sharpening guide
- Plastic base feels flimsy
- Some wish the guide included more angles
- Several mention the medium stone soaks up the honing oil
10. Zwilling J.A. Henckels 4-Stage Manual Knife Sharpener
The price is a bit higher than other manual knife sharpeners, but this unit features four distinct slots instead of the typical two or three. There are two options for standard Western knives and two for Asian knives. An ergonomically contoured handle keeps hands comfortable as you sharpen your knives. There’s also a rubberized bottom to keep the knife sharpener from slipping.
This knife sharpener is best for Western and Asian knives.
- Includes options for Western and Asian knives
- Contoured handle
- Rubberized bottom prevents slips
- A bit pricey
- Doesn’t work with ceramic or serrated blades
- Handle is a bit thin for those with larger hands